Notes from the Roof Deck

Please note that reports for the 1999-2000 season can be found here Full match analysis

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Supporter

Before I left for the United States, a number of exiled supporters told me what it would be like supporting the Addicks from afar. One does feel very remote, particularly given the difference between PDT and BST. As one gets up in the morning, the match is already under way at The Valley. Any way, Glynne's new Real Audio service provides a way of keeping in touch, although for matches with an ordinary kick off this means an early trolley bus for work (shades of the 696 and 698) to get there by 7 a.m. And no Bob the Dog to help me write match reports. One thing I do have is a nice roof deck on top of my apartment building. And with the good weather we have been having recently (as high as 81 deg. F., notwithstanding sceptical comments from Atlanta, Ga.) there have been some beautiful sunsets over the Puget Sound, Bainbridcge Island and the distant snow clad Olympic Mountains. Hence, the title of this page, 'Notes from the Roof Deck.'


The sun had come out in Seattle, but it was a dismal wet night at The Valley as Charlton crashed 1-4 to Spurs. Their worst home defeat of the season saw them lose their goal difference advantage over Blackburn and slip back into the relegation zone in 18th place.

The Addicks had gone ahead with a Mark Kinsella strike from eighteen yards in the fifth minute, but their only other threat came in the first half when a shot from Pringle was deflected wide. As Spurs started to dominate, Charlton were forced back into their own penalty area and had to engage in some desperate defending to cling on to their lead. Spurs had most of the possession and when Charlton did get the ball they were unable to hang on to it. The last twenty minutes of the half were all Spurs. As Spurs kept up the pressure, Bowen, Hunt and Kinsella all had to make important clearances in the last five minutes.

As tghe teams came out for the second half, conditions were reminiscent of the 1950s with standing puddles of water all over the pitch. There was an early opportunity for Pringle, but the impressive Campbell held him up. A free kick in a central position five years from the penalty area came to nothing and when the disappointing Mortimer got the ball in a wide position he delivered a poor cross which went out for a goal kick. Indeed, the strikers got little decent service all night. Petterson made a vital save from Armstrong, but hopes of a Charlton revival were blunted when Andy Hunt delivered a weak shot when he was one-on-one with Walker in the Spurs goal. Hunt blocked a volley from Freund, but then Iversen equalised on 57 minutes with a ball into the back of the net which left Peterson with no chance. Peterson then made a great save from Ginola, but he let himself down all night with his kicks downfield which were far too deep and simply gave the ball back to Walker. Mortimer was pulled off in favour of Barnes, but he contributed little apart from giving the ball away spectacularly on one occasion.

Spurs brought on Nilsen and Dominguez in the 71st minute with Armstrong and Freund going off. On 75 minutes ragged shouts of 'super Clive' from the subdued crowd greeted the appearance of Mendconca as a substitute for the ineffective Pringle. Powell right put out a dangerous cross with his chest for Spurs's seventh corner and Campbell scored with a close range header from Anderton's delivery. Charlton's performance continued to be flat, the one moment of hope coming when Mendonca turned on the edge of the box, Hunt had a second chance, but Walker saved with his legs after the ball took a deflection. A few minutes from time, Mendonca put in a ball into Stuart and Walker had to tip it over the bar. But this was followed by a goal from Dominguez who struck a low shot through Petterson's legs after a pass from Ginola. Then Ginola himself compunded Charlton's misery with an injury time in the form of a left footed drive from twenty yards, leaving Charlton's Premiership survival in doubt.

Juneau the Soccer Cat (believed to be the only American cat commenting on Premiership soccer) has awarded the crate of Alaskan halibut from Pike Place market to Mark Kinsella .


That was the comment of the Chicano waiter at the George and Dragon as Charlton slumped to a 4-1 defeat at Goodison Park. The scoreline did not reflect Charlton's possession and territorial dominance, but it was the Toffeemen who took their opportunities.

Seattle's downtown was wrapped in fog as I peered out of my bedroom window early on Saturday morning. Two buses took me to funky Fremont where I found the pub just past the massive statue of Lenin (it's that kind of place). As I entered, a great cheer went up from a group of Gooners as they went 3-0 ahead at 'Boro. I ate my full English breakfast while Arsenal dispalyed a quality of play rarely seen from Charlton this season. Then I was sent outside while the results were screened, the Chicano waiter greeting me with an enigmatic smile as I was readmitted to watch the time lapsed match.

The Rojos started brightly, forcing a corner which Tiler sent over the bar. On seven minutes Peterson made a vital save from Campbell, palming away the ball. But three minutes later he showed why he is third choice keeper, nearly letting in a shot which bounced a few inches wide. The play at this stage was scrappy: there was a lack of fluency in Charlton's passing and their nerves were showing. Just as they started to settle and forced Everton back in numbers, Hutchinson broke through having steadied the ball with his hand and put it past Peterson who should have done better. Powell avoided a quick follow-up with a vital clearance. But on thirty minutes Campbell showed his worth, putting in an angled chip after a block from Rufus to make it 2-0. On 38 minutes Pringle tested Myhre in the Everton goal with a great bicycle kick. A Kinsella free kick was put just past the post by Stuart. But although Charlton stepped up the pressure in the last five minutes of the half, they could not find the back of the net and Jeffers nearly made it 3-0 for the Toffeemen.

Miedio tiempo, Everton 2, Charlton 1.

There was a worrying moment for the Addicks just after the break when Rufus took a nasty knock on the head after a clash with Hutchinson. Charlton battled away, but it was difficult to find a way through the massed ranks of Toffeemen. When the Addicks did, the quality of the final cross was often poor. There was therefore a certain inevitability when on 60 minutes Campbell took advantage of the empty space at the back to put Everton 3-0 ahead from a header.

The injured Rufus and the ineffective and largely invisible Bright were replaced on 67 minutes by Hunt and Barnes. The quality of Barnes's passing put what had gone before to shame and the Everton supporters soon got tired of booing him every time he got hold of the ball. On 70 minutes he came as near to scoring as he ever has for Charlton, but the shot took a deflection. A powerful volley from Eddie Youds forced a second corner and reminded us that his value is not just as a defender. On 73 minutes Pringle shot straight at the keeper, but then Jeffers made it 4-0 on 76 minutes. When Pringle was brought down in the area, it gave Stuart the chance to score a well placed consolation goal from the penalty spot. But by then it was effectively all over and the substitution of Powell by Bowen on 87 minutes was a mere puzzling footnote for the record books.

Was it the bright Seattle sunshine that made me blink as I left the pub? Given the results around us it's not over yet. And the energetic and forecful Danny Mills has been booked a crate of Alaskan halibut by Juneau the Soccer Cat . See you folks.


Earlier this week I was in Moscow, Idaho. This is real small town America where folks never lock their doors and leave their keys in the dashboards of their four wheel drives. But such is the global reach of Pr emiership soccer that I was asked about the match against Everton which people had seen. However, after Charlton's goalless draw at The Valley against fellow relegation contenders Blackburn, with Southampton winning at The Dell, it looks increasingly unlikely that the folks in Moscow will see Premiership football from The Valley next year.

I found myself dreaming that there were five minutes to kick off at The Valley and massed Goldrange stewards were telling me the ground was full up and I couldn't get in. In fact, it was my signal to wake up and get the 6.37 trolleybus into work so that I could hear the Real Audio coverage from The Valley.

The Addicks made a nervous start. Rovers won a corner after a couple of minutes and Tiler failed to clear the ball which was shot back in by the impressive Ashley Ward. Then in an awful piece of defending Tiler gave the ball to Gillespie twelve to fifteen yards out. It was a miracle that he didn't score, but somehow he shot wide. Robinson made a good run down the wing, but he slipped. A long free kick from Tiler came right across the front of goal, but Hunt put in a weak shot straight at the Blackburn keeper. Stuart put in a great ball right across the front of goal, but Hunt and Robinson couldn't get there. Charlton's lack of finishing quality in the absence of the injured Clive Mendonca was showing again.

There was a worrying moment for Charlton when a Blackburn corner involved Royce in a collision. He went down in agony, having triggered his right knee injury. He played on for the rest of the half, but had to be substituted by Petterson at half time. That Royce was affected showed when he made a poor clearance just before the half hour which required the tireless Kinsella to make an important challenge on Gillespie.

Meanwhile, Mills drew a great save from Phelan in the Blackburn goal. A provocation from Ward led Tiler to give him the elbow. Some referees might have sent both players off, but the ref gave them both a yellow, a sensible decision in a tense match. Aggro continued between the two throughout the match and they squared up in the centre circle at the end before being separated. Redfearn put the ball through to Pringle who passed it on to Hunt who once again found himself inches away from a goal.

Just after the half hour, what had been the frantic pace of the match slowed a bit and the crowd went quiet. Pringle crashed into Gillespie and got a yellow card. The effective Redfearn but the ball into Hunt; Phelan only just got to it and had to knock it out for a throw. But then a poor back pass by Kinsella put Royce in trouble: he had to be alert to get it away. Rovers won eight corners to Charlton's two in the half and usually seemed more threatening and confident than the Addicks from set pieces. One corner was deflected by Redfearn to produce another. Wilcox put in a powerful header and Pringle had to nod it over the woodwork to prevent a goal.

Charlton looked brighter after the break and created early pressure froma patient build up. Mills's pace gave the Addicks a corner, the first of five in the opening nine minutes of the half. Pringle put the ball just past the post. The first fifteen minutes of the half looked promising. But then there was a loss of tempo, the Addicks were pushed back and Petterson had to bat a shot away with Chris Powell intervening to cover.

Redfearn tried a long range drive from 25 yards which Phelan had to drive away. The combative Steve Jones was brought on for the workmanlike Hunt and shortly afterwards Blackburn brought on Duff. Then the fading Robinson was replaced by Barnes. As news filtered throught that Southampton had gone ahead, shouts of 'Come on Charlton' could be heard. One could feel the tension in Seattle. A poor header from Tiler gave the ball to Ward, Petterson was beaten to the ball and Ward came down before Rufus cleared. His insistent penalty appeals were ignored by the ref. With trouble in the Jimmy Seed stand, a Rovers supporter flew across the advertising hoardings and almost into the back of the net. There was a spell of Blackburn pressure and Mills was booked for a challenge on Duff. Petterson had little to do all half and Blackburn were clearly content with the draw with Ward often alone up front. Charlton couldn't take the few opportunities they had. They haven't disgraced themselves, but they have shown themselves to be not quite good enough for the Premiership.

Juneau the Soccer Cat has selected some fine salmon for the tireless Mark Kinsella who must also be favourite for the Player of the Year Award. The boating season starts in Seattle today, so perhaps I'll stop at Bill Gates's place on Lake Washington and ask him if he would like to invest in a soccer club.


Charlton kept their hopes of Premiership survival alive with a 4-3 victory in a dramatic roller coaster of a match at Villa Park. With Southampton winning 2-0 at Selhurst Park after a Leaburn header missed the post by a few inches in the first half, it's now all down to the last game of the season.

The frogs of the trackless trolley came off the wires twice on the way to work, but I was there in time to hear Steve Dixon's dulcet tones coming over Real Audio. Charlton started positively with an early Stuart volley. But then Kinsella had to clear from Merson, the ball came straight back in, the impressive Tiler cleared with a header and Draper put the ball just over the top. Then on three minutes Stuart and Steve Jones converged on a fantastic cross from Robinson and Barry put the ball into the back of his own net. But just three minutes later a terrible clearance from Rufus put the ball into the path of Barry and with Petterson stranded the ball was in the back of the net for the worst goal the Addicks have conceded all season.

Redfearn put in a low rasping drive from 25 yards which was only a yard wide. By now it was raining quite heavily which made for a difficult surface as Robinson found when he tried to square the ball for Jones. A third foul from Redfearn earned him a yellow card on eleven minutes for persistent misconduct. Mills and Jones were linking up well, but there were some odd offside decisions. Kinsella put in a cross for Jones, but it was blocked. Tiler's header from the resultant corner was blocked on the line, although the ref ruled for a foul anyway.

A poor cross from Redfearn gave Villa a chance to surge forward. Powell covered and Tiler conceded a corner. Tiler then conceded another corner, but Petterson should have called for it and by doing so put the stalwart defender under real pressure.

There was a period of real Villa pressure around the half hour. After Kinsella was dispossesed, Powell held the line well and got an offside decision. A shot by Barry was batted away by Petterson, but Villa were getting a lot of possession. But a good Charlton build up in which Mills played an important role earned the Addicks a corner. Calderwood made a poor back pass, but Mendonca didn't quite get there as the ball picked up pace on the wet surface. Jones did very well to get a great ball across the front of goal, but no one was there. In injury time a dangerous ball came in which had to be headed behind by Robinson.

In the opening moments of the second half, a Robinson cross ran away from Stuart. There were hopeful penalty shouts after Mills and then Robinson went down in the area. There was good passing by the Addicks with a surging run from Kinsella picked up by Stuart. Then on 56 minutes Mendonca gave the ball an extra touch Wembley style to put the ball past the right shoulder of the Villa goal tender for a fabulous goal. Villa stepped up the pressure and won a corner after Robinson snatched at the ball. With the hapless Petterson at sixes and sevens, Tiler cleared the ball and then a dangerous ball in produced a great header from Rufus. Wright was inches wide for Villa with a thirty yard drive. But then Joachim equalised. Petterson came out and the Villa player didn't have much to do to lift it past him.

Brilliant play by Steve Jones who got to the by-line permitted a delivery to Robinson who headed the ball home to make it 3-2. A free kick was conceded by Rufus but Wright shot into the wall. Petterson had to turn the ball round the post after Tiler was brought down by a clash of heads with Mills. A shot from Redfearn was fumbled by Oates and then Petterson had to make a great diving save from a Wright free kick. But a free header allowed Villa to make it 3-3. Then in a rush of blood Petterson came out and brought down Joachim. Petterson was red carded and Robinson went off to allow a possibly better keeper, Steve Brown, to replace Petterson. Brown showed his mettle by saving the free kick. In a last throw, Pringle and Barnes came on in place of Redfearn and Mendonca. With Pringle through on goal, Watson pulled him back and was sent off. Danny Mills scored from the resultant free kick, although there may have been a deflection off Steve Jones. The minutes of injury time ticked away, but the never say die Addicks had bagged the three points.

Juneau the Soccer Cat has chosen Danny Mills as her man of the match. I'm off to Pike Place Market to see the fish throwers at work and to select the best of the catch. And then this evening I hope to be at Renton Memorial Stadium to see legendary goal tender Preston Burpo in action for the local derby with Vancouver.

I didn't make it to Renton as the George and Dragon was showing the match in the evening. What particularly struck me on seeing the match was just how good a save Steve Brown made from the free kick. And Mills's goal deflected off Tiler.


I had made special arrangements to get into my work building on Sunday morning to listen to Real Audio. The atmosphere in The Valley easily crossed the thousands of miles, but it was a relaxed Sheffield Wednesday that made an impressive start. It was quarter of an hour before the Addicks got their first corner, although a fussy referee did not help their cause by stopping the game from flowing. Charlton's first chance came when Stuart was just a yard away as news came through that Southampton had gone 1-0 ahead. Around the half hour, Charlton started to get on top. Steve Brown hit the crossbar and rumours swept the ground that Everton had equalised. Mendonca put the ball in the back of the net, but the flag went up immediately for an offside. Just after the break, a Powell cross went just wide of the post. However, Charlton were more lacklustre in the second half and eventually Wednesday seized their chance to go 1-0 up in the 78th minute. Meanwhile, the Addicks had used all their subs with the injured (knee) Brown replaced by Bowen; Redfearn probably making his last appearance at The Valley replaced by Barnes for a farewell cameo; and Pringle on for Robinson. But it was all to no avail with the Saints going 2-0 ahead at The Dell. 0-1 defeats at home have been the story of Charlton's season and suggest that we were just not quite good enough for the Premiership, particularly in terms of seizing the few chances that occur at that level.

We drove out of Seattle for a salmon bake with some friends who live on a beautiful lake called Lake Joy. Let's hope it's a good omen for next season. I'll be back at the matches and Bob the Dog will be joined by Juneau the Soccer Cat with the 'hiss of the week'. Enjoy the summer; see you at Walsall.

Jonah To Leave?

It is reported that midfielder Keith Jones, depicted above in Tom Morris's photo after scoring the winning goal against Liverpool, is to leave the club. In recognition of his services, he is to be transfer listed at a minimal price. As his kit sponsor, a word of tribute is in order. In our promotion campaign, his tenacity as a defensive midfielder created a safe environment for Mark Kinsella to push forward. Although sometimes outclassed in the Premiership, he remained one of our best man markers as his performance against Paul Gascoigne and others showed. I have heard American commentators refer to him as the 'little tiger'. Very apt for this unsung hero of the midfield. All the best for the future, Keith.

Wyn Grant
Seattle, Wa. 98102

Links for the Addickted

Addicks on Line: The redesigned club web page now with Real Audio
Addick News Centre: The superb gateway page run by the Roberts's, everything from the latest media stories to fans' reports
Seattle Sounders: With the Sounders completing the double over Vancouver, read about goal tender Preston Burpo
George and Dragon pub: If you are in Seattle, visit the George and Dragon in funky Fremont (28 bus line, just past the Lenin statue)

This page has been visited times.

This is supposedly a picture of the legendary Iceland Addick, Olafur Johansson, who was a controversial - and some said mythical - figure on the Addicks E mail list at the beginning of the 1999-20 season. I am hiding it away in an obscure corner because I have some doubts about its authenticity. He claims to be wearing the colours of his team in Iceland. Any information gratefully received.